Saturday, January 18, 2014

...first game of '14...or let the really big KoW game begin...

Got my first game of '14 in last night at our local hobby shop's monthly "Friday Night Game Night".  Brian and I decided to run a Mantic: Kings of War game, seeing as he missed out on my demo at the end of December.  So, having figured I had already run "one" demo game...I was ready to take it to the next level and use ALL my painted minis!!!!  And add MAGIC items...and spells!!!  In all, lots of minis and lots of action!  Seems I have a good number of EVIL armies opposed to good...or even neutral, so we kinda went against the standard fantasy grain and had ORCS and DWARVES ally (WHAT!!) against a purely evil-meanie force of Undead and Warriors of Apocalypse.  (I am sure Tolkien is spinning, but a gamer has to make do...)

Anyways, not sure on points...somewhere close to 2K each...maybe...again, not really worried about it, just wanted to throw down minis and toss dice.  Scenario was important tho....so I spent hours devising a detailed scenario that would take all the players wits and cunning..."kill the other army".

We proceeded to set-up....Orcs and Dwarves on one side...Undead and Warriors of Apoc on the other...roll dice...and ding ding!.

Had an outstanding time...and I am sure we made some mess-ups here and there, but we kept tossing dice and destroying units so it all worked out!  Had a variety of units in the game, some with special abilities and magic items to mix it up and force us to figure out how to use them lol.  I am really impressed with the rules and look forward to finishing off all the unpainted fantasy minis in my pile...at present, my plan is to have a 3-table long castle-siege style game at the end of the year with close to 10,000pts.  Doable....I believe so, and really it can be cost effective if I search out cheap quality models to form the core units, with some AWESOME minis scattered here and there!  We shall see....

...set-up...Brian and Dave prepare the "sorta-good" battle line...

...Dwarves positioned on my right flank...they would be a thorn throughout the night...

...Orcs begin the advancement on my left flank...tough, but failed to kill me off...
...the mini with his hands out to each side: Mhorgoth...we'll come back to him...

...Yes!  My favorite unit, the "Zombie Endless Swarm"...they actually advanced across the table killing an Orc horde and another unit, before finally being put down by a lowly Goblin Spitter (bows) unit...LOL

...right flank quickly dissolved into flanks and counter-charges...

..and finally the remaining Warriors of Apoc unit is flanked by Dwarves on two sides...death came quick

We played well past any reasonable turn limit...preferring to see the battle out.  I had brought one "unique" Hero to game from the Undead list...Mhorgoth the Faceless!  WOW...he was a mean s.o.b.  Lots of points, but I think he killed 4-5 units himself...in fact we ended the night with Mhorgoth destroying the Dwarven King and killing a Dwarf beserker troop, before turning his faceless eyes upon the last remaining unit...from both armies LOL...the Goblin Spitters (bows)!!!  They had been sitting back in the final battles...seeing as how they had single handily taken down the zombie swarm and a skeleton regiment...Mhorgoth decided they had earned the right to run....away.  And thus ended our first game of '14.  I had a great time and look forward to more in the coming months.  Great set of rules, try them out if you are looking for something quick and easy on the brain.  

Cheers
Beachbum


No comments:

Post a Comment