Monday, January 6, 2014

...do a little turn on the catwalk...on the catwalk...oh, and what about Deep Wars?

Didn't work on any models or minis today...spent time reading a new set of rules I finally got around to buying..."Deep Wars" by Antimatter Games.  I have followed the development of the game off and on over the past year or so and finally decided to purchase the PDF rules to see if they spark my curiosity. (Trying to be a little more frugal this year with my miniature/gaming purchases lol.  Need to back away from the shiny object syndrom and research games a little more closely...)

As a SCUBA diver, I already have a built in love of the sea, so I have been looking at the Deep Wars game with some interest.  Will it offer me an enjoyable game to play and quality miniatures, all the while scratching that diving itch...we shall see...

On the other hand, some readers asked if I could take some pics of my Kings of War fantasy armies I posted about earlier, so here is my attempt at some close(r) shots!  These are not all Mantic, I have over EIGHT different mini lines in my armies...I use what looks good!

Mantic - Orcs "Gore Riders"

Mantic - Orcs "Ax"

Mantic - Undead "Skeletons"

Avatars of War - Iron Shields (These are perhaps the best Dwarf minis I've seen!)

Scibor - Dwarf King (Gorgeous model...friend painted and I washed...)

Well, everyone have a great evening.  Welcome your thoughts on either Deep Wars or my slowly growing fantasy armies.  Cheers!

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting more pictures. Some very nice units you have there. The Orcs have always been a favorite fantasy race of mine. Though, I don't think all orc models are created equal, in that it can be pretty easy to make them look pretty wonky (as opposed to fearsome). It looks like Mantic did a pretty good job. I still think Games Workshop makes my favorite orc models, largely because of Brian Nelson. He was instrumental in reworking and defining what an orc should look like, in my opinion. His boar boy riders are some of my favorite models: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440080a&prodId=prod750002a

    I love how it actually looks like they are riding the boars, and not just perched ontop (which I think a lot of cavalry models suffer from).

    Avatars of War has some nice Orc character models, too.

    I have not worked with any of Kings of War stuff. Are most of the units supplied with one large base to attach all the models too, as opposed to individual bases? Presumably you have to paint each model before gluing them to the base? I imagine it would be quite a pain to paint them if they were all glued to the base.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mantic Kings of War minis are single pieces, I just prefer to multibase. As you do not remove casualties in Kings of War, you are encouraged to just create one large base (keep footprint of models) and build a diorama if want. Its one of the points I really like on KoW. The Mantic models are not always the best sculpts and some are in restic crap, but they are cheap! Lots of models needed for big armies LOL. Overall I am happy with them and they paint up great for wargaming!

      Delete
    2. I currently don't really know anything about the ruleset for Kings of War. That you do not remove casualties is interesting. I had heard good things about the system, having been written by Alessio Cavatore. It is a shame Mantic uses restic for a lot of their releases. I have a couple Dreadball teams that probably will never be completely assembled because it is such a chore to work with.

      Delete
    3. I bought the Dreadball game to play with some friends, but not sure if that will ever come to fruition...and yes, I was not really impressed with the mini qualities for the game. the restic material is not a keeper IMO.

      Delete
    4. I was able to play some games with the models partially assembled, and had a great time. It is a much faster paced game then Blood Bowl, making it fairly simple to get a lot of games in a short period of time. It is a shame the models are of such poor quality, but the game is enjoyable enough to warrant trying to play it. So, I would not write it off completely.

      Delete
  2. Deep Wars is certainly worth playing. I have played a bunch of games and still only scratched the surface of it. The rules are pretty straight forward and easy, and there is a pretty large narrative element to the game (honestly, the game reminds me of Mantic's Deadzone in a lot of ways).

    The warbands are also really small, so it does not have to be too large a time or money commitment. Most of their models are cast in a nice soft metal, with their larger models in resin (their resin is nice too, easy to work with and usually not too many moldlines or bubbles).

    Not wanting this to simply come off as a shameless promotion, but I have a few posts about it on my blog Between the Bolter and Me (http://betweenthebolterandme.blogspot.com/search/label/Deep%20Wars), both about the models and some games I played. Take a look if you are interested!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like it might be worth a longer look. I will take a look at your reviews on your blog. Have not really paid much attention to Deadzone...

      Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Mantic cut quite a few corners on Deadzone to get it out by Christmas. I would recommend Deep Wars over it. Eric Louchard (the designer of the setting and adaption of the rules, as well as one of the sculptors of the models) is a really nice guy, who is really devoted to it. He continually sends updated versions of the rule pdf, and even has been updating the printed copies as well.

      Delete